Entertainment

Big music festival wanted

by
April 17, 2018

The Shepparton Shake Out, a 50s-themed celebration of fashion, music and dance, has proved a popular event on the region’s calendar.

Echuca’s Riverboats Festival (above and right) is a hugely popular event that attracts thousands of people to the Aquatic Reserve off Heygarth St each year.

Jazz Party perform at the Riverboats Music Festival.

It might not be quite the size of a Woodstock or Glastonbury.

But Greater Shepparton City Council is trying to attract a music festival to Shepparton that can attract about 5000 people.

In the past, this has proved a challenge.

But with the development of new event spaces in the city, the council is confident it can better position itself in the market.

As outlined in a major events strategy in recent years, the council is forging ahead with efforts to attract such an event to the city, arguing Shepparton has the facilities for a festival of this scale to be staged.

The council is working with local and outside promoters on securing such a music festival.

Team leader Anthony Nicolaci said landing a large-scale festival was on council’s radar.

He said there was a strong grassroots music scene in the region, which would be complemented by a 5000-person festival the council was trying to attract.

‘‘There’s been a bit of work done, we’ll continue to do that,’’ he said.

‘‘We’ll continue to work with local and non-local music promoters to see how we can get into that market.

‘‘We think we’ve developed a couple of unique spaces that allow us to position ourselves in that market.’’

A recent major events strategy had identified music events as a key area of focus in drawing festivals to the city.

The recent second instalment of the Shepparton Shake Out — a 50s-themed celebration of fashion, music and dance — marked an early effort in this push.

In November, Mr Nicolaci told The News there had been a shortage of music festivals and events locally.

But following what he had described as a lull period for live music events in the city, Mr Nicolaci had flagged the council was keen to make something of a return to the space.

‘‘We’re working hard to get back into the space... It is a hard area to break into,’’ he had said, adding at the time that a lack of suitable venues had previously been a limiting factor.

But with investment in the Shepparton Showgrounds and Victoria Park Lake, there were a number of suitable spaces to host music festivals.

ONLINE POLL

The News yesterday asked readers if they would like to see a music festival in Shepparton.

By yesterday afternoon, more than 150 readers had voted via an online poll at www.sheppnews.com.au

Of these, 89 per cent supported the idea of a music festival for Shepparton, with the remaining 11 per cent voting against it.

By
More in Entertainment
Login Sign Up

Dummy text